Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Job Description
A Certified Nursing Assistant, or CNA, is responsible for providing personal care under a nurse’s orders for patients in hospitals, nursing homes, long-term care facilities, and in-home.
Your CNA job description will typically be your first point of contact with your candidate audience. How you communicate the information in your job description will shape how potential candidates perceive the job duties, the value of the role to the company, the company culture, the organization of the hiring process, and the like.
In a competitive marketplace, you want your job description to stand out so the most qualified candidates will be intrigued and motivated to apply. It’s about making an awesome first impression, and simply throwing together a generic job description won’t cut it. By putting extra time and attention into how you research, draft, and post your job description, you can make a big difference in the quality of applications and resumes you receive back.
Getting ready to interview Certified Nursing Assistant candidates? Check out our top Certified Nursing Assistant interview questions.
The job description template below will help you get started. Modify the template as needed to fit your particular business and job.
Certified Nursing Assistant Job Description Template
We are looking for a compassionate CNA to provide assistance to patients in our healthcare facility. Your day will focus on assisting patients with daily activities including bathing and toileting, taking vital signs, cleaning patient areas, turning or repositioning bedridden patients, examining for wounds or bruises, and other such care.
A CNA is a non-medical professional who works under the supervision of licensed medical professionals such as doctors and nurses. You must be self-driven, have a strong command of applicable healthcare rules and procedures, and possess a high level of integrity. The most successful candidate will have strong interpersonal skills and a nursing assistant certification from a reputable program.
Certified Nursing Assistant Responsibilities:
- Answer patient calls
- Assist patients with daily activities like bathing, getting dressed, and using the bathroom
- Reposition bedridden patients
- Record patient information such as food intake, toileting issues, medication response, and physical activity
- Document blood pressure, pulse, temperature, and other vital signs
- Change sheets and cleaning patient areas
- Report mental or physical issues to nurses
- Stay current on HIPAA and other applicable healthcare regulations
Certified Nursing Assistant Requirements:
- Quick thinking and strong attention to detail
- Friendly and professional demeanor
- Capable of lifting patients weighing up to 200 pounds
- Valid State Certified Nursing Assistant Certification
- CPR certification (American Heart Association)
- Clean background check
Median Annual and Hourly Pay: $28,530 per year/$13.72 per hour
Annual salaries for Certified Nursing Assistants in the top industries in which they worked:
Hospitals; State, Local, and Private $30,050
Nursing Care Facilities (Skilled Nursing Facilities) $27,840
Home Healthcare Services $27,290
Continuing Care Retirement Communities and Assisted
Living Facilities for the Elderly $27,200
* Source for wage information: Bureau of Labor Statistics