Data Entry Operator Job Description
A Data Entry Operator, or Data Entry Keyer, is responsible for entering, maintaining, and updating information in a company database and computer system.
Your Data Entry Operator job description will typically be your first point of contact with your candidate audience. How you communicate the information in your job description will shape how potential candidates perceive the job duties, the value of the role to the company, the company culture, the organization of the hiring process, and the like.
In a competitive marketplace, you want your job description to stand out so the most qualified candidates will be intrigued and motivated to apply. It’s about making an awesome first impression, and simply throwing together a generic job description won’t cut it. By putting extra time and attention into how you research, draft, and post your job description, you can make a big difference in the quality of applications and resumes you receive back.
Getting ready to interview Data Entry Operator candidates? Check out our top Data Entry Operator interview questions.
The job description template below will help you get started. Modify the template as needed to fit your particular business and job.
Data Entry Operator Job Description Template
We are looking for a Data Entry Operator who can process large quantities of data into our company databases and computer systems. You will prepare source documents for computer entry, enter data within designated time limits, and review output to correct any inaccuracies.
The ideal candidate will have a keen eye for detail, fast typing skills, and extensive experience with spreadsheets (MS Office Word, Excel, Google Sheets, etc.). We are looking for a team player with solid interpersonal and communication skills who can work efficiently with our data team and data manager. You will also be exposed to confidential and sensitive information so an understanding of the rules of confidentiality and discretion is a must.
Data Entry Operator Responsibilities:
- Compiling and sorting documents (including invoices, reports, personal details, developments, transactions)
- Preparing documents for data entry based on text and numerical information
- Entering data with complete accuracy
- Finding and resolving discrepancies between source documents and data entry output
- Performing file backups to preserve data entry and output
- Creating spreadsheets and reports for internal dissemination
- Retrieving and presenting data upon request
- Staying current on new software updates and information systems
Data Entry Operator Requirements:
- Meticulous with details
- Extensive experience with spreadsheets (Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Sheets, etc.)
- Command of word processing tools
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong critical thinking abilities
- Superb time management skills
- Ability to focus for long periods of time
- Capable of demonstrating fast typing skills
- Good team player
- Full command of the English language
- High school degree or equivalent
- Experience as a Data Entry Operator preferred
Median Annual and Hourly Pay: $32,170 per year/$15.47 per hour
Annual wages for Data Entry Operators in the top roles in which they worked:
Aerospace Product and Parts Manufacturing $49,330
Natural Gas Distribution $47,580
Offices of Dentists $42,980
Postal Service (Federal Government) $42,240
Apparel, Piece Goods, and Notions Merchant Wholesalers $41,450
* Source for wage information: Bureau of Labor Statistics