Director of Operations Job Description
Otherwise called the Chief Operations Officer (COO), Business Operations Manager, or Operations Director, this position is responsible for supervising an organization’s business strategies, financial growth, and customer relations.
Your Director of Operations job description will typically be your first point of contact with your candidate audience. How you communicate the information in your job description will shape how potential candidates perceive the job duties, the value of the role to the company, the company culture, the organization of the hiring process, and the like.
In a competitive marketplace, you want your job description to stand out so the most qualified candidates will be intrigued and motivated to apply. It’s about making an awesome first impression, and simply throwing together a generic job description won’t cut it. By putting extra time and attention into how you research, draft, and post your job description, you can make a big difference in the quality of applications and resumes you receive back.
Getting ready to interview Director of Operations candidates? Check out our top Director of Operations interview questions.
The job description template below will help you get started. Modify the template as needed to fit your particular business and job.
Director of Operations Job Description Template
We are looking to hire an experienced Director of Operations who will work with our department managers to oversee the day-to-day operations of our company. This position has a wide range of responsibilities across the company, so the ideal candidate will be comfortable working with all departments and personnel.
Your responsibilities will include developing business plans, creating budgets, updating corporate policies, and evaluating and optimizing employee performance. Ultimately, the most successful candidate will have strong leadership and problem-solving skills that will lead to more productive company operations.
Director of Operations Responsibilities:
- Improve the business activities of each company department
- Plan and execute strategies that increase revenue and growth
- Oversee accounting, budget, spending, and bank process matters
- Monitor daily business efficiency
- Gather, analyze, and interpret financial data and staff performance
- Maintain relationships with customers and vendors
- Design and implement business policies and procedures
Director of Operations Requirements:
- Proven ability to manage budgets
- Experience with data analysis and performance metrics
- Effective decision-making and leadership skills
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- In depth knowledge of important business functions (supply chain, customer service, accounting, etc.)
- Familiarity with business software (ERP, CRM, or similar)
- 5+ years experience managing a complex enterprise
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or a similar field
- MBA preferred
Median Annual Pay: $111,069
Annual Base Pay Range: $70,000 – $164,000
Additional reported compensation options for a Director of Operations include:
Cash bonus average $15,504
Cash bonus range $3,145 – $47,846
* Source for wage information: Glassdoor