Help Desk Specialist Job Description
Help Desk Specialists provide technical support to a business’s consumers through email, telephone, email and instant messaging. They are a part of the company’s customer service division, serving as the face and voice of the business to those who need help troubleshooting and getting the most value out of their product.
Your Help Desk Specialist job description will typically be your first point of contact with your candidate audience. How you communicate the information in your job description will shape how potential candidates perceive the job duties, the value of the role to the company, the company culture, the organization of the hiring process, and the like.
In a competitive marketplace, you want your job description to stand out so the most qualified candidates will be intrigued and motivated to apply. It’s about making an awesome first impression, and simply throwing together a generic job description won’t cut it. By putting extra time and attention into how you research, draft, and post your job description, you can make a big difference in the quality of applications and resumes you receive back.
The job description template below will help you get started. Modify the template as needed to fit your particular business and job.
Help Desk Specialist Job Description Template
Our company is seeking a new Help Desk Specialist to join our team. We are an active, performance-driven business that strives to hire people who can help our clients by providing fast, friendly and reliable service for all of their technical and software-related needs. This position requires an outgoing personality that can easily engage with a variety of consumers by asking the right questions and taking the stress out of the troubleshooting experience.
Your work will support the director of our IT department. A minimum of one year working as a level 1 help desk technician is required. We are happy to consider both up-and-coming specialists seeking professional advancement opportunities as well as more experienced candidates ready for a change.
Help Desk Specialist Responsibilities:
- Direct IT support experience with both Apple Mac and Windows OS
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office Suite applications.
Proficiency in all G Suite applications
Microsoft Outlook, Office 365 and OneDrive knowledge.
Ability to backup software and restore computers.
- Ability to set up new desktop PCs and Macs with additional hardware including mice and keyboards.
- WiFi and LAN configuration and troubleshooting.
- Respond to incoming queries from consumers in a timely manner and provide ongoing technical support.
- Identify software malfunctions and repair or reinstall to correct issues.
- Ability to provide virtual IT support through VPN and Citrix.
- Actively engaging with multiple clients every day.
Help Desk Specialist Requirements:
A high school diploma or GED.
An associate’s or bachelor’s degree in IT systems or computer science not required but preferred.
- At least one year of IT support/help desk technician experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office and G Suite applications.
- Fluency using and troubleshooting Mac and Windows operating systems.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple ongoing tasks.
Median Annual and Hourly Wage: $53,470 per year / $25.70 per hour
Annual wages for Help Desk Specialists in the top industries in which they worked:
Data processing, hosting, and related services $65,310
Computer systems design and related services $65,300
Finance and insurance $63,400
Management of companies and enterprises $61,550
* Source for wage information: Bureau of Labor Statistics