Medical Assistant Job Description
A Medical Assistant is required to properly handle both office and medical tasks in order to help the healthcare facility run more efficiently.
Your Medical Assistant job description will typically be your first point of contact with your candidate audience. How you communicate the information in your job description will shape how potential candidates perceive the job duties, the value of the role to the company, the company culture, the organization of the hiring process, and the like.
In a competitive marketplace, you want your job description to stand out so the most qualified candidates will be intrigued and motivated to apply. It’s about making an awesome first impression, and simply throwing together a generic job description won’t cut it. By putting extra time and attention into how you research, draft, and post your job description, you can make a big difference in the quality of applications and resumes you receive back.
Getting ready to interview Medical Assistant candidates? Check out our top Medical Assistant interview questions.
The job description template below will help you get started. Modify the template as needed to fit your particular business and job.
Medical Assistant Job Description Template
Our healthcare facility is searching for a capable Medical Assistant to welcome incoming patients and help our care providers with daily administrative tasks. Among other duties you will be required to schedule appointments, collect personal information from patients, prepare treatment rooms, administer medications as directed by physicians, and collect laboratory samples.
The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills, a warm demeanor, and the ability to multitask in a high activity environment. A qualified candidate will have a strong command of all applicable regulations, including HIPAA and OSHA.
Medical Assistant Responsibilities:
- Greet patients at arrival
- Schedule appointments and take information
- Obtain client records and transfer to digital files
- Document basic patient medical history
- Prepare patient rooms
- Answer questions over the phone and email
- Assist with lab samples and perform basic tests
- Take vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, etc.)
- Clean and sterilize equipment and environment
Medical Assistant Requirements:
- Proven administration experience
- Basic understanding of patient care and medical terminology
- Attention to detail and highly efficient
- Knowledge of health care regulations, including HIPAA and OSHA
- Compassionate and friendly demeanor
- 2+ years experience in a medical setting
- Experience with electronic medical health care record systems
- National certification such as RMA or CMA preferred
Median Annual and Hourly Pay: $33,610 per year/$16.16 per hour
Annual salaries for Medical Assistants in the top industries in which they worked:
Outpatient Care Centers $35,600
Hospitals; State, Local, and Private $34,980
Offices of Physicians $33,650
Offices of Chiropractors $29,960
* Source for wage information: Bureau of Labor Statistics