Sales Associate Job Description
Sales Associates, or Retail Sales Associates, are tasked with welcoming customers and aiding them in searching for and purchasing products.
Your Sales Associate job description will typically be your first point of contact with your candidate audience. How you communicate the information in your job description will shape how potential candidates perceive the job duties, the value of the role to the company, the company culture, the organization of the hiring process, and the like.
In a competitive marketplace, you want your job description to stand out so the most qualified candidates will be intrigued and motivated to apply. It’s about making an awesome first impression, and simply throwing together a generic job description won’t cut it. By putting extra time and attention into how you research, draft, and post your job description, you can make a big difference in the quality of applications and resumes you receive back.
Getting ready to interview Sales Associate candidates? Check out our top Sales Associate interview questions.
The job description template below will help you get started. Modify the template as needed to fit your particular business and job.
Sales Associate Job Description Template
We are currently searching for an enthusiastic Sales Associate to provide superior customer service for our customers. Qualities such as effective communication skills, a friendly demeanor, and a dedication to customer service are all central to this role.
As a Sales Associate you will be the first point of contact a customer makes with our store. The impression you make will impact the store’s reputation as a whole. We seek an associate who will cheerfully greet customers, thoroughly answer questions, and properly handle purchases.
To excel in this role, the associate will maintain an up-to-date knowledge of the store’s inventory, and have the ability to find a customer’s requested item or offer suitable alternatives, including upsells and cross-sells.
Sales Associate Responsibilities:
- Stay current on all product knowledge
- Enthusiastically greet customers
- Guide customers to find the requested products
- Provide accurate information on product features, pricing, and special offers
- Handle purchase transactions, operate cash registers, and balance drawers
- Upsell and cross-sell products to increase sales
- Maintain a clean and organized sales floor
- Handle product returns and direct complaints to management
- Maintain the proper presentation of signage and displays
- Organize and clean the sales floor, stockroom and restrooms
Sales Associate Requirements:
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Basic math skills
- Previous experience in retail and understanding of the sales process
- Teamwork and problem-solving skills
- Experience with inventory stocking procedures
- Multitasking skills in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to walk and stand for the duration of shifts
- High school diploma
- Bachelor’s in marketing or business is a plus
Median Annual and Hourly Pay: $24,340 per year/$11.70 per hour
Hourly wages for Sales Associates in the top industries in which they worked:
Automobile Dealers $16.67
Building Material and Garden Equipment and Supplies Dealers $12.94
Electronics and Appliances Stores $12.17
Sporting Goods, Hobby, Musical Instrument, and Book Stores $11.23
Clothing and Clothing Accessories Stores $11.18
* Source for wage information: Bureau of Labor Statistics