Store Manager Job Description
Store Managers, also called Store Supervisors, monitor the overall operations at one or more store locations.
Your Store Manager job description will typically be your first point of contact with your candidate audience. How you communicate the information in your job description will shape how potential candidates perceive the job duties, the value of the role to the company, the company culture, the organization of the hiring process, and the like.
In a competitive marketplace, you want your job description to stand out so the most qualified candidates will be intrigued and motivated to apply. It’s about making an awesome first impression, and simply throwing together a generic job description won’t cut it. By putting extra time and attention into how you research, draft, and post your job description, you can make a big difference in the quality of applications and resumes you receive back.
Getting ready to interview Store Manager candidates? Check out our top Store Manager interview questions.
The job description template below will help you get started. Modify the template as needed to fit your particular business and job.
Store Manager Job Description Template
We are searching for a professional and experienced Store Manager who will oversee the daily operations at one of our locations. Your responsibilities will include maximizing staff productivity, creating effective business strategies, meeting sales goals, managing finances, supervising assistant managers, performing general administrative tasks, handling customer requests and complaints, and ensuring overall customer satisfaction.
The ideal candidate will have the proven ability to move quickly across a range of duties in a fast-paced environment. They should bring strong leadership skills, financial planning abilities, and a firm grasp on effective management practices.
Store Manager Responsibilities:
- Create and implement business strategies to improve store traffic, sales and profitability
- Motivate staff members to reach sales goals
- Properly arrange promotional material and in-store displays
- Hire, train, and manage new staff members
- Manage the proper display and inventory of floor merchandise
- Maintain stockroom inventory levels and order new inventory
- Manage store budgets and keep financial records current
- Ensure store compliance with company policies and all health and safety regulations
- Analyze and report on consumer buying trends and business competitors
- Mediate and resolve all customer complaints in a professional manner
Store Manager Requirements:
- Strong understanding of the store’s product category
- Outstanding communication and critical thinking skills
- Natural leadership abilities
- Knowledge of basic business and financial practices
- Passion for working in a retail environment
- Minimum of 3+ years experience as a Store Manager or a similar position
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or relevant field
Median Annual Pay: $50,688
Annual wages for Store Managers in the top roles in which they worked:
Retail District Manager $74,624
General Manager $68,556
Area Manager $58,093
* Source for wage information: Glassdoor